Do you ever feel trapped in a job you don’t find rewarding? The key to living a more fulfilling life is to go after your passions. Being someone’s employee often requires you to put these passions aside so you can work towards their vision – not yours!
Becoming an entrepreneur is not for everyone. There are many obstacles between you and your dreams, including coming up with the willpower to get started on your project, finding the confidence to get through multiple mishaps, and devoting many hours of hard work to building your vision.
Being an entrepreneur is hard work and can be disheartening at times – but owning your business can be a very fulfilling and freeing experience.
Follow these steps to follow your passions through your own business:
1. Find your calling
You could base your business on a talent you have, a hobby you love, or your desire to make a difference in people’s lives.
• There is a popular belief that it takes 10,000 hours of work before one can be consideredan expert in any field. This belief may not be true, but it shows that expertise requires time and hard work.
2. Register your business and apply for necessary licenses.
• If you’re in the US, you need to do is register your business name through the U.S. Small Business Administration and apply for a tax ID.
• You will also have to register your business through state agencies. Applying for licenses is necessary if your field is regulated – for instance, if you prepare food, work with dangerous chemicals, or provide services that require special qualifications such as legal advice or accounting.
If you’re in the UK, you need to let the HMRC know within three months of starting your business but check with the relevant authorities where you live to make sure you’re staying within the guidelines.
3. Create your business plan.
Creating a business plan is a systematic process that provides a blueprint for your business and will help you obtain funding for your project.
• Start by explaining what the purpose of your business is and how you’ll achieve it.
• Explain what kind of products you want to sell or list the services you’ll be providing.
• Define your target audience in as much detail as possible.
• Create an outline for your marketing strategy and include your expected prices as well as how much profit you expect to generate.
4. Explore your financing options.
Go over your budget and business plan carefully to assess how much money you require.
• Look for investors among your friends and relatives, or angel investors through local business associations. Borrowing money is usually your best option if you cannot find investors for your project.
5. Get to work!
Becoming a successful home business owner requires time, hard work, and real dedication.
• Besides spending some time on developing your products or services, promoting your business, and providing excellent customer service, it’s also important to work on acquiring more skills that will help you become a better business owner.
• Divide the large goals from your business plan into smaller goals you can accomplish on a weekly or daily basis. This division will also help you assess your progress.
• Keep in mind that your goals might have to shift if your market changes.
The best way to launch your business and achieve financial stability is to put together a detailed plan with a series of small, manageable steps that will lead you to your goals. Use these five steps as a broad template for your project and add any additional steps that are relevant to your business.
Check out the business I use to work from home. Plug into our system and take the stress away from building a business from home.
Click here if you’d like to check out our blog on the top 10 reasons to work from home.