I’m sure you’ve read the rosy pictures and inspirational quotes about creating a life you’ve always dreamt of having, however they don’t show you the reasons why it might NOT be for you. I’ve written my top five characteristics to avoid work from home businesses, so you can either be better equipped for the journey to financial freedom, or take a different route.
- No self-discipline or lazy outlook. If you are someone who isn’t easily motivated and relies on a boss with a temper to hassle you into producing good results, then it probably isn’t for you. Watching an hour less of TV every night and working on a home business instead produces compounded results which could equate to a luxury holiday or new car in a years time. However, you need to turn off the tv tonight and you don’t get the new car for a year, which is why you need discipline to keep going and achieve the things you’re making a short-term sacrifice for. Most businesses in general need more work at the start to create momentum, this is something we accept in traditional business, however when it comes to home businesses, I see people all the time with different companies who give up because they didn’t see instant results even when their activity on social media and online platforms were flawless. It’s such a shame because I know the things they would have achieved if they’d just had the discipline and passion to keep going a little while longer. I know of a number of work from home millionaires who almost gave up in the early days of their business and looking at the choices (homes, cars and holidays) they have now reminds me that the only way to fail is to quit. I would like to mention that discipline can however be instilled if you have a desire or dream big enough to overcome it. I also know women who turned small scale part-time businesses that regularly took a back seat in the priority list, into large scale global incomes by realising what it could do for their families and discipline was introduced to their businesses overnight.
- Warning *Work is still involved* Flicking through Facebook and picking pretty images for your vision board aren’t activities that will produce an income for you. So if you already work from home and realise you spend a considerable length of time doing this – it may be why you aren’t making money. If you’re considering working from home, you need to choose the right company and the right person to help you plan your activities so you’re creating and building an income producing business from the beginning. When I introduce a new person to my business, I have a ‘get started’ meeting, where I show them what they can do to earn money from the start and how they can create momentum so they aren’t wasting time on the wrong activities. I want them to be more successful than me because inevitably I get paid more, so it makes sense that I pass on the things I’ve learnt so each new person doesn’t have to waste time and effort making the mistakes I did in the beginning.
- People who search for get rich quick schemes that sound too good to be true, (they usually are). If you are looking for a viable business, you need to look at companies that have been going for 10, 20 years, that are accredited with the DSA (direct selling association) that have quality CONSUMABLE products, and a responsibility to the people who work with and for them. The most expensive part of any sale is finding a new customer, whether you’re selling downloadable info products or health and beauty products, so one with a quality consumable product is going to keep coming back and give you a residual recurring income. So, do your homework before deciding on which business to go with, I’ve written a blog about this here
- People who do not want to sell or trade anything – To make money, you have to trade something. If your time and skills are involved, they often create an intangible product and in my experience while this might seem easier to provide, it doesn’t create the same level of revenue and while work is consistent, getting paid isn’t. Otherwise, sale of products may be involved and this seems to put some people off. You’ve recommended a film to a friend before though, and maybe a moisturiser, restaurant or washing powder. Why not get paid while you do it? This is why you would simply look for a company that manufactures products you’d like to recommend to people. If you look for something you’re interested in or believe in, this doesn’t feel like work!
- People who don’t want to do anything. Most people want more money, to look and feel better, but to get the things most people want, you have to do what most people wont. So if you want to lose weight, you need to look at your health and fitness and change something, either your eating habits or your exercise patterns. If you want to lose weight, but only want to think about it and not do anything differently, then nothing will change. Starting a home business requires the same thought process, you are swapping time spent doing something else i.e. watching TV for time working to build your income for the future. However if you consistently put off doing anything and instead sit around and don’t change anything then you have to expect that nothing will change. Your business only fails if you quit! Sometimes, circumstances in life change and create that motivation to change something resulting in
Now you’ve now read the characteristics less suited to home business success, if you are interested in earning more, starting a small scale home business or a global organisation, you would need the following: A desire to achieve things you want, a friendly personality to work with other like minded people and a willingness to learn from other people, so I can help you avoid pitfalls I made in the beginning to save you time. If you would like more information on the work from home business I use, please Email me to get in touch, or feel free to follow me on Facebook.
Thanks for reading!